January 16th, 2015
We finally have some good news, the iPhone Dev-Team have just released RedSn0w v0.9.15b1 with support for Jailbreaking the iOS 6 firmware tethered on A4 devices.
For detailed breakdown of the new version of RedSn0w, check out our last post right here
You no longer have to maually install the unstable version of Cyida as this new RedSn0w update will do all the hard work for you and install a stable version of Cydia. In this quick tutorial we will run through the steps on how to jailbreak your A4 iPhone or iPod Touch running the firmware iOS 6 on MAC OS x.
Looking for a Windows Tutorial? No problem, we have that too! Click Here.
Supported A4 devices:
- iPhone 4 CDMA
- iPhone 4 GSM
- iPhone 3GS (Untethered Jailbreak if old-bootrom)
- iPod Touch 4G
1) Obviously you will need to download the latest version of RedSn0w. You can either download it from our downloads section or via the direct links below.
2) After you have successfully downloaded the latest version of RedSn01, you will need open it up and launch the tool by double clicking. Note: if you are using OS X Mountain Lion then to open the software you will need to hold down the control button, click on the RedSn0w icon and click the “Open” option.
3) Once RedSn0w is open and up and running what you need to do is simply click the Jailbreak button.
4) You will then be shown a screen with your preparation instructions for entering DFU mode. If you have never entered DFU mode, read an take note of these instructions, power off your device and then click next.
After you have clicked Next, you will then need to perform the DFU mode steps as shown below.
- Hold down Power (corner) button for 5 seconds.
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center) button along with the Power button for 10 seconds.
- Without releasing the home button, stop holding down the power button for up to 15 seconds.
5) If you have done this correctly RedSn0w will begin processing the iOS 6 firmware.
Once the firmware has completed its processing you will be presented with a few options. You need to make sure that the “Install Cydia” option is checked, and then click the Next button to begin the actual Jailbreaking process.
6) RedSn0w will now begin jailbreaking your iPhone or iPod Touch.
DO NOT interrupt or use the computer during this time.
After it has completed your device will reboot into a non-jailbroken state or in some instances with not make it past the Apple Boot Logo. This is simply because this a Tethered Jailbreak. To start your device you will need to boot it again using RedSn0w.
Unfortunately you will need to preform this upon every reboot of your device – This is the downside to a Tethered Jailbreak….
7) You will now need to re Launch RedSn0w again if you exited out of it, click the Extras button and then click the Just Boot button.
You will once again need to put your device into DFU mode and it will then boot into a jailbroken state.
Remember that you will need to repeat Step 7 every time your iPhone or iPod Touch reboots, loses power etc…. It’s a pain, but if you want a jailbroken iOS 6 device right now this is the only way around it.
Well done! Your A4 device is now jailbroken using the new and updated version of RedSn0w.